Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Reading Journal #2


Sunday Jan 22nd: Finished Aztec Blood and after voicing my concerns that it was following the previous 2 books in the series a little too closely this one did pick up a little in the end.  I still did not end up liking Cristo the Bastardo as much as I did the protagonists in the other 2 books although he did have more adventures and changes in life circumstances than you would imagine any one person could have.  I think out of the three I've read in this series so far this one is the weakest and it seems the reviews on Amazon seem to concur with that.  I will be continuing on this the series (the next up is Aztec Rage) but I think I'm going to take a good long break before I attempt it just in case that one also starts out similar to the others in the series.  Now on to reading the Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease which I found out was a sequel to The Illuminator which I have not read yet.  I didn't figure this out until I had already snagged it from the library so I will be reading it anyway and hoping it works well as a stand alone novel and I won't be confused by references to the previous book.

Mon Jan 23rd-Wed Jan 25th: Read The Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease.  Even though this was a sequel and I hadn't read the first book, it did well enough as a stand alone.  I had never heard of the Lollard movement before picking up this book (basically people subscribing to this belief thought that everyone should be able to read the Bible in their own language which at the time was considered heresy by the church).  I knew at one time reading the Bible in anything but Latin was a no-no but I didn't know the name of the cause to change it.  Love when I feel like I learned something while reading.  Don't want to give away any plot points as this one I will be reviewing at Royal Reviews on February 9th.  I definitely will be reading more from this author though.

Wed Jan 25th-now: Started The Technologists by Matthew Pearl which is the first book I've ever read by this author.  It is about the first class at MIT and mysterious happenings in Boston that threaten the city and must be stopped.  Pretty good so far...

This week I am also participating in the read-a-thon Michelle is hosting at The True Book Addict.  I'm not doing as well as I thought I'd be so far because I had planned to have The Mercy Seller done before the challenge started but that didn't happen.  I was only 64 pages into it when the challenge started so as of this writing I have read

The Mercy Seller 419 pgs- 64 read before challenge started = 355 pgs

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl-75 pgs in

Total so far:  1.25 books and 430 pgs.

I'm hoping to really get a lot of reading done especially since I caught a rather horrid cold this week and am planning to spend most of the weekend in bed. She also has some awesome giveaways going and mini-challenges as well that I'm hoping to get to today and tomorrow.  Now off to read more Technologists!

No comments:

Post a Comment