Monday, August 2, 2010

Mailbox Monday


Mailbox Monday is hosted for the month of August by Chick Loves Lit

This week was my lucky week. I was contacted by a member at PBS who offered me an awesome deal on a bunch of literary fiction I had on my reminder list. I live about 10 minutes from Lake Michigan and a 2 mile stretch of gorgeous beach. When it's nice like it has been, on weekends I take my boy down there for an ice cream and a ride by the lake. Sometimes I'll bring the mutt and let him run on the dog beach. Saturday we headed down that way and I stopped by Booked for the Season another of the consignment bookstores I mentioned in an earlier post. I didn't find as many here as I did at the other one. Apparently all the readers of historical fiction live in Grand Haven so I think I will continue to go to that one. I did manage to find three though and after that boy and I took our cruise around the lake, parked with the window down and listened to the waves crash onto the beach as we ate our ice cream. So without further ado:

From PBS:
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
  • The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields
  • The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
  • The Hours by Michael Cunningham
  • Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally
  • Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
  • The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
  • Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle
  • Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively
  • The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love by Oscar Hijuelos
  • If I am Missing or Dead by Janine Latus
  • I am Legend by Richard Matheson
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
  • Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier




And from Booked for the Season:

  • A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle Bk 1) by Libba Bray
  • The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
  • My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier



Now to enjoy my wonderful Starbucks as I fold mountains of laundry :)

7 comments:

  1. Good haul. I particularly loved Shadow of the Wind and Great and Terrible Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...nice haul! I really loved My Cousin Rachel by Du Maurier. Enjoy all of your new additions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing mailbox list! I'm a big fan of Roddy Doyle and Shadow of the Wind was on my Favorite reads of 2009. Enjoy all your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very impressive "mailbox"! Enjoy your new books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have already read a couple of these books.

    i have penned down my thoughts on the books here :
    http://www.book-review-circle.com/moon-tiger-penelope-lively.html

    http://www.book-review-circle.com/things-fall-apart-chinua-achebe.html

    would love to know what you think about these books, in case you have also read them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, you have a lot of books in your mailbox!
    I just awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award over at my blog. Here's the link to my post on it with more information on how to join in:http://bestfriends-books.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-first-award-versatile-blogger-thank.html

    Thanks and congratulations on your blog!

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete