Thursday, June 17, 2010

Shelf Share Thursday

Welcome to Shelf Share Thursday. This is the place to give the books that have been on your shelf awhile a little love. Every week I will post a letter and three books that correspond to it. Hopefully there will be a gem or two in there you've long forgotten about. There is only one way to find out. Share your shelf. Mr. Linky will assist you at the bottom of the post :)

This week's letter is N.

is for.....

New Spring by Robert Jordan

From Amazon:

"For three days battle has raged in the snow around the great city of Tar Valon. In the city, a Foretelling of the future is uttered. On the slopes of Dragonmount, the immense mountain that looms over the city, is born an infant prophesied to change the world. That child must be found before the forces of the Shadow have an opportunity to kill him. Moiraine Damodred, a young Accepted soon to be raised to Aes Sedai, and Lan Mandragoran, a soldier fighting in the battle, are set on paths that will bind their lives together. But those paths are filled with complications and dangers, for Moiraine, of the Royal House of Cairhien, whose king has just died, and Lan, considered the uncrowned king of a nation long dead, find their lives threatened by the plots of those seeking power."

About 2 years ago I decided I wanted to collect a couple of fantasy series' to read. I already had most of McCaffrey's Pern series and most of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. I was torn between The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It was settled when I was offered a great deal on 1/2 the WOT series from someone on PBS. I've heard many people say this series is a must for any fantasy lover. I have yet to find out.

N is also for...

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

From Amazon:

"This is the riveting first-person narrative of Kvothe, a young man who grows to be one of the most notorious magicians his world has ever seen. From his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, The Name of the Wind is a masterpiece that transports readers into the body and mind of a wizard."

I know I will definitely get to this one this year as it is on several of my challenge lists. I don't remember where I heard about this book but I can't wait to read it. I also like checking in on the author's witty blog once in awhile. Sadly, I have not read much fantasy this year which I hope to remedy in the 2nd half of the year because I really enjoy it.

and finally N is for..

Niccolo Rising by Dorothy Dunnett

From Amazon:

"The time is the 15th century, when intrepid merchants became the new knighthood of Europe. Among them, none is bolder or more cunning than Nicholas vander Poele of Bruges, the good-natured dyer's apprentice who schemes and swashbuckles his way to the helm of a mercantile empire.Niccol Rising, Book One of the series, finds us in Bruges, 1460. Jousting is the genteel pastime, and successful merchants are, of necessity, polyglot. Street smart, brilliant at figures, adept at the subtleties of diplomacy and the well-timed untruth, Dunnett's hero rises from wastrel to prodigy in a breathless adventure that wins him the hand of the strongest woman in Bruges and the hatred of two powerful enemies."

I just recently read the first book in the Lymond Chronicles and I aim to finish that series before I start this one so it will probably be awhile before I get to these. I really like this author but her books are definitely not in the fluff read category and I think I'll have to be in a certain mood before I pick up one of hers.

And that is all for this week. What's on your shelf?

2 comments:

  1. The Name of the Wind is an excellent read. I am so pleased that we at least have a release date for the second book.

    I have been been meaning to try Dorothy Dunnett for years. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to participate in this meme but, alas :D... I couldn't find one book on my shelf that started with "N". Hopefully, I'll be able to participate next week.

    ReplyDelete