Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Shelf Share Thursday

Welcome to Shelf Share Thursday! This is the place to let all the books on your shelf get a little love and not just the latest and greatest out there. Every week I will post a letter of the alphabet and share three books from my shelf starting with that letter. Maybe I'll find out the books I've been hanging on to forever are awesome and I need to read them right now or maybe I'll find out that book I've been holding on to forever can be put to better uses-I could make Book Art! Please feel free to share your shelf too. Just leave your info with Mr. Linky at the bottom of the post :)

This week's letter is D.

IS FOR...............

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes


From Amazon:

"Widely regarded as the world's first modern novel, Don Quixote chronicles the famous picaresque adventures of the noble knight-errant Don Quixote de la Mancha and his faithful squire, Sancho Panza, as they wend their way across sixteenth-century Spain."

I have been meaning to read Don Quixote for quite some time and it is on my list this year but I haven't picked it up yet because it is HUGE. I found a copy in a relatively new bookstore to the area called Booked for the Season. I stumbled across this bookstore completely by accident and I thought it was an odd location because it is down by Lake Michigan so they probably don't get a lot of business in the summer. They didn't have a lot of my "type" of books but they did have Don Quixote for $2 so I couldn't pass that up. If I end up liking it maybe I'll check out the 2000 TV movie version starring John Lithgow or maybe a production of Man of la Mancha....

D is also for...

Daughter of the Sun by Barbara Wood

From Amazon:
"The prolific and bestselling Wood (The Blessing Stone) explores life in the pre-Columbian Americas in this evocative historical romance. Hoshi'tiwa, a beautiful and gifted young Aztec potter of rain jars, is violently uprooted from her village by the dominant Toltec tribe and taken to Center Place, a distant trade and administrative hub suffering through a severe drought. Charged with making a jar that will bring rain to the Toltecs, Hoshi'tiwa captivates her captors: even Lord Jakál, the Toltec leader, finds himself drawn to her. Others feel threatened and plot to eliminate her: Lady White Orchid, a wealthy and influential aristocrat, hopes to marry Jakál herself. Xikli, captain of the elite Jaguar military unit, hopes to use the drought to stage a coup. As Hoshi'tiwa struggles with conflicted feelings for Jakál, she undertakes an arduous journey of discovery."

I ordered this one from PBS because I liked the cover and had no idea that this was considered historical romance. Normally I shy away from books described as such because many times they'll have too much romance, not enough history. I'll give this one a whirl eventually though. I've been fascinated by the civilizations of Central and South America since I read Aztec by Gary Jennings last year.

and finally D is for...

Daggerspell by Katharine Kerr

From Amazon:
"Even as a young girl, Jill was a favorite of the magical, mysterious Wildfolk, who appeared to her from their invisible realm. Little did she know her extraordinary friends represented but a glimpse of a forgotten past and a fateful future. Four hundred years-and many lifetimes-ago, one selfish young lord caused the death of two innocent lovers. Then and there he vowed never to rest until he'd rightened that wrong-and laid the foundation for the lives of Jill and all those whom she would hold dear: her father, the mercenary soldier Cullyn; the exiled berserker Rhodry Maelwaedd; and the ancient and powerful herbman Nevyn, all bound in a struggle against darkness. . . and a quest to fulfill the destinies determined centuries ago."

I picked up The Dragon Revenant which is the 4th book in this series not realizing that it was a series. When I got home I looked it up and figured it out but then I had to order the first three so the story would make sense. They have been on my shelf for about a year now but I still haven't had a chance to get to them. I like a good fantasy series once in awhile. The last one I read was Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy but that was awhile ago so I'm due for a good fanstasy series.

Okay those are my three for this week. Now it's your turn.

What's on your Shelf?





2 comments:

  1. I like Kerr's writing!! when I was big into fantasy I gobbled up all of her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I really enjoy these peeks into your TBR pile, Holly. I'm afraid I don't have any D books in my own pile, though, so I can't link up this week. =(

    PS--And I came back to say that the word verification I got was "abire": Latin for "to quit"! Hahaha . . .

    ReplyDelete