Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shelf Share Thursday

Welcome to this week's Shelf Share Thursday. This is the place to let all the books on your shelf get a little love and not just the latest and greatest out there. Every week I will post a letter of the alphabet and share three books starting with that letter. Maybe I'll find out the from others the books are awesome and they need to be read right now or maybe I'll find that the book I've been holding onto forever can be put to better uses--like leveling a table or lining a bird cage. Please feel free to share your shelf too! This week I am introducing Mr. Linky so you can share your shelf with everyone :)

This week's letter is B.

is for.......

Beloved by Toni Morrison

From Amazon:

"In the troubled years following the Civil War, the spirit of a murdered child haunts the Ohio home of a former slave. This angry, destructive ghost breaks mirrors, leaves its fingerprints in cake icing, and generally makes life difficult for Sethe and her family; nevertheless, the woman finds the haunting oddly comforting for the spirit is that of her own dead baby, never named, thought of only as Beloved."

Ghost stories tend to creep me out. I am convinced we had a ghost living in the house I grew up in and although Harriet never bothered anyone it really unnerved me. Still I love the beautiful way Toni Morrison writes so I am willing to give this one a go.

Also by Toni Morrison that I enjoyed:

Song of Solomon and A Mercy



B is also for...
The Bastard King by Jean Plaidy

This is the 1st book in Plaidy's Norman trilogy and tells the story of William the Conqueror. I have never read anything from this time period and hope to read it soon.
Some describe Plaidy's writing style as a bit dry at times but I think there is no other historical fiction writer that can beat her when it comes to historical accuracy. If you're looking to try out a few Plaidy novels I have read her entire 11 novel Queen's of England series which starts with the story of Queen Henrietta Maria in Loyal in Love (also published as Myself, My Enemy).



And finally B is for...
Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer

From Amazon:
"Lady Serena Carlow is an acknowledged beauty, but she's got a temper as fiery as her head of red hair. When her father dies unexpectedly, Serena discovers to her horror that she has been left a ward of Ivo Barrasford, marquis of Rotherham, a man whom Serena once jilted and who now has the power to give or withhold his consent to any marriage she might contemplate. With her father's heir eager to take over his inheritance--and Serena's lifelong home--she and her lovely young stepmother, Fanny, decide to move to Bath, where Serena makes an odd new friend and discovers an old love, Major Hector Kirkby. Before long, Serena, Fanny, Kirkby, and Rotherham are entangled in a welter of misunderstood emotions, mistaken engagements, and misdirected love."

I recently ran across a whole lot of the older versions of GH novels at a UBS and I snapped up all the ones that were in good condition. I have never read this author before but I hear from several sources in the historical fiction blogosphere that I am in for a treat. Many of her books have been re-released recently with georgeous covers. I can't wait to read one of hers.
So many books so little time!
Okay now it's your turn. What's on your shelf?





2 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Hello again, Holly! =)

    Believe it or not, I don't have any books that begin with B in my TBR drawer! I hope you don't mind that I'm linking up my A list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Holly...
    I've given you an award on my blog! I hope you'll pop over to accept it and pass it on!

    ReplyDelete