Saturday, December 5, 2009

REVIEW: Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet by Xinran

Sky burial tells the story of Shu Wen, a Chinese woman who left her home of China to search for her husband who was killed while serving in the Army as a Doctor in Tibet. She lives in Tibet and continues her search for over 30 years before finally finding out what happened to her husband.

This story is insightful and heartbreaking. I got a glimpse into a tumultuous Tibet and the results of the mistrust and fear between the Tibetans and the Chinese. Admittedly, I know very little about Buddhism or the Tibetan culture but it was nice to follow along with Shu Wen as she learned and adapted to the way of life in Tibet. Along the way she meets a friend, Zhouma, who is also searching for her lost love and a nomad family that they both stay with for several years while preparing for the journey that will take them all over Tibet.

This story is actually a factual account told to the journalist Xinran by an elderly Shu Wen before she once again disappeared. I loved that the writing was so simplistic, yet beautiful. I actually read this for an author A-Z challenge and only chose to read it because I couldn't find many authors beginning with "X". I am glad I did pick it up though. It was well worth it.

If the FTC is wondering: I got this book from the library

No comments:

Post a Comment