Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Broadening my Reading Horizons and Weekly Acquisitions

I was looking over my bookshelves the other day and realized that 95% of it is Historical Fiction, Classics or Fantasy (mostly historical fiction though..) Nothing wrong with that but recently the Type A side of my personality that compels me to keep lists of everything and make plans far far into the future even though there is a good chance I won't stick to it kicked in. I decided I wanted to broaden my horizons a bit for 2010 so I have decided at the start of the new year to do a Pulitzer of the month where I will read and review one novel that has previously won the Pulitzer prize for fiction. I figure doing this will allow me to check the "branching out" my reading tastes block and hopefully will end up with me reading some really great books this coming year. Has to be some reason they won a Pulitzer right?



It was a toss up between the Pulitzer Fiction list and the Man Booker Prize list (especially since this years winner was a Historical Fiction novel) but Pulitzer won out as I already own more of those than the books on the MB list. Just haven't read them yet is all :)



In cleaning my living room and bedroom this week I managed to find an unused Walmart Gift Card for $25 from last Christmas on top of the TV and one with a balance of $1.90 in my bedroom. I love it when that happens. It's like finding free money! Of course I scooted on over to Walmart.com and ordered:

  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  • Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
  • Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (preordered)


Also have these on their way to me from Paperbackswap:

  • Teacher Man by Frank McCourt
  • Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner (Winner of Pulitzer Prize in Fiction 1972)

I also got my shipment from Bookcloseouts.com. I love that place. I'm wondering when they started requiring signature confirmation for packages though? It kind of annoyed me since I had to wait until Saturday to get the box because no one was home to sign for it, but I did get it which is what counts so all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment