Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I am now the proud owner of a brand new laptop. Unfortunately because I was transferring everything from hubby's computer to my new one, I missed doing Shelf Share Thursday last week. Now it has returned! Shelf share thursday is the place to give the books that have been lingering on your shelf a little while some love. Every week I will post a letter of the alphabet and 3 books corresponding to that letter. Hopefully I have a few good ones someone can vouch for or maybe I'll unearth a few that need to be donated to the library. There's only one way to find out: Share the Shelf! Feel free to join in. Mr. Linky below will assist you :)

This week's letter is P.

is for....


Pharaoh by Karen Essex

From Barnes & Noble:

"Following on from 'Kleopatra' the glittering epic of Egypt's Queen continues as she allies herself with Anthony and begins a love story that immortalizes her as one of history's greatest political players and most tragic heroines."

There is a very good reason I haven't read this one yet-I don't have the first one. Also I am reading Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (and a couple of other books I've been reading for awhile but have yet to finish). I'm sure this one will move further up the TBR once I've acquired the first one.

P is also for...

Pompeii by Robert Harris

From Amazon:

"All along the Mediterranean coast, the Roman Empires richest citizens are relaxing in their luxurious villas, enjoying the last days of summer The world's largest Navy lies peacefully at anchor in Misenum. The tourists are spending their money in the seaside resorts of Baiae, Herculaneum, and Pompeii. But the carefree lifestyle and gorgeous weather belie an impending cataclysm and only one man is worried. The young engineer Marcus Attilus Primus has just taken charge of the aqua Augusta, the enormous aqueduct that brings fresh water to a quarter of a million people in nine towns around the Bay of Naples. His predecessor has disappeared. Springs are failing for the first time in generations and now there is a crisis on the Augusta's sixty mile main line-somewhere to the north of Pompeii on the slopes of Mount Vesuvius. Attilus-decent, practical, and incorruptible-promises Pliny, the famous scholar who commands the Navy, that he can repair the aqueduct before the reservior runs dry. His plan is to travel to Pompeii and put together an expedition, then head out to the place where he believes the fault lies but Pompeii proves to be a corrupt and violent town and Attilus soon discovers that there are powerful forces at work-both natural and man-made-threatening to destroy him."

This one I think I got at Mystery House Book Shoppe in Walker, MI. I love that place! I have always been intrigued by what happened at Pompeii and have watched several history channel type things on it. Right now I'm focusing on reading hardcovers to free up some shelf space but when I get back to the paperbacks I'd like to read this one soon.

And finally P is for...

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

From Amazon:

"Jamaica in 1665 is a rough outpost of the English Crown, a minor colony holding out against the vast supremacy of the Spanish empire. Port Royal, Jamaica's capitol, a cutthroat town of taverns, grog shops and bawdy houses is devoid of London's luxuries; life here can end swiftly with disentery or a dagger in your back. But for Captain Edward Hunter it's a life that can also lead to riches if he abides by the island's code. In the name of His Majesty King Charles II of England, gold in Spanish hands is gold for the taking and law in the New World is made by those who take it into their hands. Word in port is that the Spanish treasure galleon El Trinidad, fresh from Spain, is stalled in nearby Matanceros Harbor awaiting repairs. Heavily fortified, the impregnable Spanish outpost is guarded by the blood swiller Cazalla, a favorite Commander of King Phillip IV himself. With the governor's backing, Hunter assembles a roughneck crew to infiltrate the enemy island and comandeer the galleon, along with it's fortune in Spanish gold. The raid is as perilous as the bloody legends of Mantanceros suggests, and Hunter will lose more than one man before he finds himself on the island's shores where dense jungle and the firepower of the Spanish infantry are all that stands between him and the treasure."

I loved Jurassic Park, Lost World and Congo. I have heard this one is not nearly as good as those but I'm still willing to give it a go eventually. Maybe when I stop picturing Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in my head when I think of pirates.....

And that is all for this week. What's on your Shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment