Sunday, April 15, 2018

Secondborn by Amy A. Bartol

Firstborns rule society. Secondborns are the property of the government. Thirdborns are not tolerated. Long live the Fates Republic.

On Transition Day, the second child in every family is taken by the government and forced into servitude. Roselle St. Sismode’s eighteenth birthday arrives with harsh realizations: she’s to become a soldier for the Fate of Swords military arm of the Republic during the bloodiest rebellion in history, and her elite firstborn mother is happy to see her go.

Televised since her early childhood, Roselle’s privileged upbringing has earned her the resentment of her secondborn peers. Now her decision to spare an enemy on the battlefield marks her as a traitor to the state. But Roselle finds an ally—and more—in fellow secondborn conscript Hawthorne Trugrave. As the consequences of her actions ripple throughout the Fates Republic, can Roselle create a destiny of her own? Or will her Fate override everything she fights for—even love?


I grabbed this one because I was doing my monthly book order and saw the second one was coming out shortly.  The second book sounded so good I wanted to read the first.  Of course, it was only available through the Michigan E-Library because only 3 libraries in the state had the first one.  This is your typical dystopian novel.  Something has seriously gone wrong with the society where there is a need for population control.  Families are only allowed two children.  The first child born is automatically elevated into the top 1% and becomes a member of the ruling class.  The 2nd born serves the government in some capacity. Our heroine is Roselle and her family is in charge of the military wing of the government.  Since the St. Sismodes are such a huge deal, Roselle's entire existence from birth to adulthood is televised for the whole world to watch.  It's kind of like "See even the most important people in the world make the same sacrifices the rest of you do."  We find out that Roselle's fate is to placed into the lowest level of the military where it is almost certain she will make the noble sacrifice of her life in the fight against the rebels who wish to do away with the social hierarchy.  Things don't go as expected though as Roselle discovers she has people on her side-including handsome fellow military recruit Hawthorne.  She continues to defy expectations at every turn, much to the disappointment of her mother who would rather see Roselle out of the picture once and for all.

Overall I really enjoyed this book.  There were some things about Roselle's character I didn't enjoy as much.  She is supermodel beautiful, is extremely smart, and can fight better than anyone else.  I always find it hard to like characters that have the perfection deck stacked in their favor.  There are several things about her I did like though-fiery spirit and an intense desire to do what is right for people.   The story was really good as Roselle keeps getting obstacle after obstacle thrown in her way.  She also crosses paths with one of the most sadistic people on the planet who definitely has it out for her.  I've read  a lot of dystopians  and I would say this about middle of the pack.  I will be continuing on with the second book as this one left several unanswered questions and scenarios.  I stayed up pretty late to finish this one because I didn't want to wait til the next evening to see how it ended.


3 comments:

  1. Not my genre but i do like reading the reviews to know more about this kibd of book. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thank You Very much Doctor Otonokpo for making my ex boyfriend come back to me. I am Cordelia Sandra from Brazil and i am putting this testimony here too because i want to share my testimony of how i was helped by Doctor Otonokpo within 48 hours of contacting him. Yes, it was last week my ex boyfriend returned to me after i contacted Doctor Otonokpo. My boyfriend was always going back to meet his ex girlfriend because he never really left her. Her name was Sophie. I didn't know how it happened one day after breakfast that i saw him looking at his ex girlfriend's picture on Facebook and I flared at him that he doesn't care about him and he was with me and still thinking about his ex although we have been dating for 6 months. He stormed at me and left the house and never returned. I was heartbroken and wanted him to come back. I was in a nightclub with friend one evening that I saw him with Sophie there, I was humiliated that night and I regretted going there only to see him there. I went online after some days and found Doctor Otonokpo and read about him and I contacted him to help me get him back. I must say that within 48 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and pleaded for leaving me. Is this how spell works so fast? Please, if you want help, contact Doctor Otonokpo too to help you at otonokpotemple@gmail.com
    Call/WhatsApp +2348114129781

    ReplyDelete

  3. I can't't believe that this man is so real, how can I thank you enough, I can't fail to testify about the good things you have been doing for me and now you still went ahead and do same for my friend, please everyone if you have anything disturbing you please your solution is hear with Dr.osupalagba the great spiritualist who can solve any problem in a twinkle of an eye. No matter the problems, whether spiritual problem, you want to get your ex back, promotion in your workplace, spiritual cleansing, fruit of the womb, mental illnesses, protection for gun, protection for cutlass, protection for bottle, protection for snake and scorpion bites and cure. Are you a victim of any of the above listed setbacks, you can contact Dr.osupalagbavia Email: osupalagba.temple@gmail.com


    Call/WhatsApp +2347051667586

    ReplyDelete