Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Holidays All!

Yes, I know the holiday isn't until tomorrow but I expect to be in the kitchen for most of the day and then with my nose in a book for the rest of it so I want to take the time now to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and I hope Santa leaves you everything you want under your tree!

Fortunately I have this entire week off which I will be using to catch up on my back reviews and get a jump on the ones for January.  I have been on break from college since the 13th and while I haven't had as much reading time as I would have liked, the reason why is, I think, a good one.  The weekend break started I was in Petco stocking up on kitty scratching posts since we have three furballs and we bought new leather furniture which we didn't want destroyed.  While there I saw one of the ladies who helped me adopt Hilda (my 3rd furball) in November.  I told them I would be willing to volunteer with them to help the kitties find homes since every time I went to Petco for cat food I came home with another cat!  Since then I have been spending my weekends at Petco helping with adoptions.  The first weekend there was a gorgeous long haired grey and white gent named Buster who was in desperate need of brushing so the ladies asked me if I would like to foster him til we found him a home and I said yes.  I got him groomed and he is the most loving big ball of fluff I have ever met.  He is going to a new home the first week of January if no one adopts him before then.  This past weekend Heaven Can Wait (which is the rescue group I volunteer with) found 27 cats their furever homes.  I have scooped more cat boxes in the past two weeks than I probably have in the past year and spending those hours on my feet and cleaning cages is exhausting!  I have been coming home totally worn out but I am so happy to be doing my part to help these poor kitties (and to keep myself from bringing home 10 more cats)!

Here are my babies:
Hilda
Gilbert & Eleanor

Now, something else I have been remiss in is posting my wrap up post for the Silent Night Read-A-Thon hosted by Svea at The Muse in the Fog Book Review.  And the consensus is.....Yep, I still stink at Read-A-Thons.

 I managed to read 1.5 books out of the six I had on my list.  I got 250ish pages into The Twelve Rooms of the Nile by Enid Shomer and then had to take it back to the library because it was overdue and I didn't have time to finish it.

Then I sped through The Master of Verona by David Blixt which admittedly is a chunky book but I really thought I would be able to read a lot more.  One day I will succeed at a Read-A-Thon!  My next attempt is Michelle's A Winter's Respite Read-A-Thon the 21st-27th of January.  Maybe this will be the one where I actually get to all the books on my list. 

Now I am off to finish the library books I have due in two days.  Happy holidays to all and stay tuned for my best reads of 2012 list later this week.  :)


2 comments:

  1. What a great Christmas post! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a wonderful job with the cats!

    Have yourself a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete