Sunday, July 10, 2011

Suddenly Sunday

Suddenly Sunday is hosted by Svea at The Muse in the Fog Book Review.

Good Morning everyone!  As you are reading this I am in my rental car on my way back to the airport in Oklahoma City to fly home.  Why am I here?  This story begins nearly 25 years ago at Edgewood Elementary in Muskegon Heights, MI.  I was a quiet shy little girl who had just completed my first week of preschool.  Dad came to pick me up in his van as usual.  As we were pulling out of the parking lot, we saw a mom and a little girl from my class standing on the sidewalk.  The little girl was crying and it was obvious she had peed her pants.  My dad stopped the van and offered her and her mom a ride home.  That little girl's name is Stephanie.  She has been my best friend since that day.  We've been chased around the neighborhood by her brother Derek with all sorts of gross findings.  We've played Barbies together, rode bikes together, and had countless slumber parties.  We've fought over boys and been the shoulder to cry on for each other because of boys.  Then we joined the Army-me first and then her a year later.  I went to Korea, Fort Campbell, KY and Iraq.  She went to Fort Lewis, WA and Iraq (twice!).  Fast forward an entire decade.  We've kept in touch but not actually seen each other for 10 years.  Friday that all ended.  That little girl that peed her pants 25 years ago and became my best friend married the love of her life on Saturday and the promise that was made back when we were playing dress up and watching Jem to be there for each other's weddings fulfilled (partially anyway-I got married 9 years ago in the county clerks office of Clarksville, TN).  I don't know when I'll see her again.  Hopefully its not another 10 years from now and even though it was 107 degrees down here and I thought I was going to spontaneously combust, I am glad I made the trip.

Now, coming up this week since the plane ride and down time in the hotel has given me plenty of reading time:
Monday: Review of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Tuesday: Review of Bound by Sally Gunning
Thursday: Review of Honolulu by Alan Brennert
Friday: Second update for the Chivalrous Deeds Challenge

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. What a great friendship you have, Holly. Thanks for sharing your story.

    I'm looking forward to reading your upcoming reviews.

    ReplyDelete