Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Note and Recent Acquisitions

Below are posted a few reviews I did on an older blog earlier this year and late last year. I LOVE books and am constantly adding to my collection. I am absolutely horrified when am standing behind someone at Barnes and Noble and the cashier asks if they would like the membership and they say "No I only come to the bookstore once a year". I cannot see how one can live without books. I get many books from Barnes and Noble and also from Paperbackswap.com which I have listed in my links to the right. PBS is a bookswapping site where you list the books you no longer want. All you pay is shipping to send your books to other members. When you do this you earn credits you can use to order books from other members and they pay to ship the book to you. It is very simple and user friendly and I have recieved 300+ books from there in the past 18 months so it is a good source for those on a budget. I am Michiganderholly on there so please feel free to use me as a referral or buddy me if you decide to join and we have similar book tastes *** end plug*** ;-)

Also on this blog I listed my Shelfari bookshelf so everyone can see what is currently in my collection at home. I live for making lists and have kept track of everything I've read for the past two years. Those lists are also located to the right. I didn't get the urge to write reviews until recently but I'll be happy to give my thoughts on any of the ones I've read :)

I am getting "new" books from somewhere pretty much every week. This is a list of the ones I currently have on my way to me:
  • Shield of Three Lions by Pamela Kaufman (from PBS) arrived today!
  • The Prince of Poison by Pamela Kaufman (from PBS) arrived today!
  • The Maid of the White Hands by Rosalind Miles (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Woman of a Thousand Secrets by Barbara Wood (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Elizabeth's Spymaster: Francis Walsingham and the Secret War that Saved England by Robert Hutchinson (from Bookcloseouts)
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the price they paid for glory by Julia P. Gelardi (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Artemesia by Alexandra Lapierre (from Bookcloseouts)
  • A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Master of Verona by David Blixt (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Alexander and Alestria by Shan Sa (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simmons (from Bookcloseouts)
  • I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Terror by Dan Simmons (from Bookcloseouts)
  • London for Dummies by Donald Olson (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Great Tales from English History 3: Captain Cook, Samuel Johnson, Queen Victoria, Charles Darwin, Edward the Abdicator, and More by Robert Lacey (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Great Tales from English History: A Treasury of True Stories about the Extraordinary People by Robert Lacey (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Queen's Consort: England's Medieval Queens by Lisa Hilton (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Sweetsmoke by David Fuller (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Infinity in the Palm of her Hand by Gioconda Belli (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Josephine: A Life of the Empress by Carolly Erickson (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Stolen One by Suzanne Crowley (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Given Day by Dennis LeHane (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge by Eleanor Herman (from Bookcloseouts)
  • Sex with the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers and Passionate Politics by Eleanor Herman (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Song of Hannah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy (from Bookcloseouts)
  • The Concubine by Norah Lofts (from Bookcloseouts)






Normally I don't acquire quite that many in a week but I just can't resist a good sale. Thanks for checking out my blog :)

2 comments:

  1. I love The Bronze Horseman. I recently found my copy again (it was packed away) and it made me want to re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it is a good read. What originally drew me to it was a different version of the cover. I thought it was really pretty so I read the synopsis and it sounded like it would be something I like :)

    ReplyDelete